UDW Homecare Providers Union (UDW) seeks honest, dependable, motivated individuals to fill the following available positions. All positions open until filled. Salary will be determined based on experience.
Current Positions Open
If interested in applying for this position Please send resumes and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
You will be assigned to work with members and non-members. (UDWA) United Domestic Workers of America represent 60,000 Homecare Workers in California. This particular position supports In-Home Support Homecare workers. This is for are location in Modesto, Ca
You will be responsible for:
- Identifying, recruiting, training and developing leaders.
- Assisting Lead organizer in developing plans for campaigns on specific issues including public budget, contract negotiations, safety, etc.
- Assisting members in creating communication systems (one on ones, meetings, newsletters);
- Assisting in organizing ground campaigns to support contract negotiations.
- Help members hold elected officials accountable by encouraging participation in political and lobbying activities.
What you’ll need to do the job:
- Ability to establish rapport with and organize members in widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups.
- Good judgment and ability to discern priorities when faced with many important tasks.
- Some knowledge of labor rights and contract language and ability to learn these quickly.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends.
- Ability to communicate well in writing and orally; ability to mobilize membership.
- Ability to maintain work files and comply with administrative reporting.
These skills will normally have been developed by working as a full time union staff member in organizing or representational assignments.
Assistant Political Director
Department: Political & Legislative Affairs
Location: Sacramento, Please Send Resume and Cover letter to email@example.com
The Assistant Political Director reports to the Political Director and is responsible for mentoring staff within the Department as well as strategic planning, leading on issue and electoral campaigns within the union that empower our members to be a strong force in their county, in the legislative process, and at the ballot box.
Areas of Responsibility
- Staff supervision, improve staff performance to meet organizational goals;
- Develop political strategy and integrate politics with all the work of the union.
- Train staff on recruiting members for political fundraising, electoral campaigns and other union activities;
- Play a leadership role with multiple levels of staff and members to create and execute successful elected official accountability activities, and issue and electoral campaigns;
- Participate in and work with UDW staff to prepare the creation of member education materials;
- Plan and manage multiple campaigns and projects simultaneously in a high-pressure environment requiring rapid adjustment to changing priorities and strategies;
- Superior oral and written communication skills;
- Minimum of five years legislative and proven talents in political organizing, or campaign experience with a labor union, state or local agency or association, non-profit community organization or progressive elected official;
- Ability to travel and willing to work long hours and weekends, as needed;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to motivate, lead, build strong working relationships and hold others accountable;
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to creating a positive work environment that encourages personal responsibility, initiative and innovation;
- Self motivated, great attitude and strong team player;
- Strong sense of professionalism and integrity;
- Proven ability to work with a diverse group of people, from union members to union staff and leaders to elected officials to other community and issue stakeholders;
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office programs;
- Previous experience in speech writing, media work, and other communication/public relations fields is highly desirable; and,
- Fluency in a second language is desirable.
Bilingual and people with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.