IHSS providers, consumers: Get free help with income tax preparation

Income Taxes for Homecare Providers

It is that time of year again, and many homecare providers have questions about their income taxes and W-2′s.

Questions about W-2′s

W-2′s are issued in mid January. If you have not received your W-2 by the end of January or if you have questions about the wages reported in your W-2, you need to contact the payroll office of the county where you work. However bear in mind IHSS is not generally able to track a lost W-2 and can only request a duplicate.

However, undeliverable W-2’s that are returned to the processing center will be forwarded to the counties within two business days after they are received. If the county is in possession of an undeliverable W-2 and the provider stops by or calls with an updated address, counties have been instructed to give or mail the W-2 to the provider rather than requesting a reprint of the original form.

The State Controller usually begins issuing duplicate W-2′s in early February.

To request a duplicate W-2, providers should call their local county payroll office and have them request the duplicate W-2. Alternately, the “436 Duplicate Request Form” and information for getting duplicate W-2′s may be obtained directly from the State Controller’s office online. There is a small processing fee to request a duplicate W-2 from their website: http://www.sco.ca.gov/ppsd_empinfo_dpw-2.html The phone number for the State Controller’s Office is: 916 372-7200. The W-2 division for IHSS providers is “Legacy” on their menu system. During tax season they are very busy and it may take some time to get through..

Free Tax Preparation

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)
The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $50,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing. To locate the nearest VITA site, call 1-800-906-9887.

Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE)

The TCE Program provides free tax help to people aged 60 and older. Trained volunteers from non-profit organizations provide free tax counseling and basic income tax return preparation for senior citizens. Volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS.

As part of the IRS-sponsored TCE Program, AARP offers the Tax-Aide counseling program at more than 7,000 sites nationwide during the filing season. Trained and certified AARP Tax-Aide volunteer counselors help people of low-to-middle income with special attention to those age 60 and older.

For more information on TCE, call 1-800-906-9887. To locate the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, call 1-888-227-7669 or visit AARP’s website: http://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/

State of California Franchise Tax Board (FTB)

The California Franchiase State Tax Board site provides a great deal of information including but not limited to topics like:

  • Tax rates & exemptions
  • Tax law changes
  • Tax calculator & tables
  • Electronic filing options
  • Printable forms



Print Friendly